Friday, April 11, 2008

Driving in India

So I have been trying all week to get a good video that shows how crazy driving is in Chennai, India. The simple fact is that the small portion of what the camera sees is not enough. You need the full panoramic view for the full effect. Last time I was here everyone kept asking me if I was scared. I just kept telling them that I was in awe. I just didn't understand how people don't crash all the time. I am told that it is because we are in the city and you really don't a chance to go very fast. They say that when you leave the city that is where the majority of the accidents occur. It is simply amazing how it all works. Buses, cars, rik-shaw things, motorcyles, bicycles, and pedestrians all just use the same space and it works.

I keep asking them what the qualifications to get a license are "Do they simply have you drive to a point and back and if you survive you get a license?" :-)

Here are some videos that give a small glimpse, but don't really do it any justice. One is in the morning and one at night. At night is a bit hard to see (sorry), but I think you should see how crazy it is to go through an intersection. I should also mention that the honking is used to indicate "I am behind you" not "You stupid idiot!" like it is for us.

Way to work


Way to co-workers home

No comments: