Thursday, September 11, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARI!!!

Happy Birthday to Cari - a loving wife, mother, sister, friend, and wonderful woman!

Long before today was Patriot's Day it was Cari's birthday. A day just for her.

Birthdays are a fun time to reflect on the life of someone. Besides it allows us to pull out fun pictures. :-)

Cari was the fourth of six kids in her family and the youngest of three girls.

Cari was the only red-head, although it is more auburn now, in her family. Her Grandpa Bill had a special place in his heart for Cari. In high school she put streaks in her hair and she thought Grandpa Bill was going to lose his top.
Anyone else see a little bit of Lilly in this picture?

Ask anyone and they will tell you that Cari is a well of knowledge on just about anything. She learned tons from her mom on working in the kitchen. We love to make homemade jam together. Something she has been doing for years. She had gotten better at not being as messy though.

Cari has said she wanted to be dancer. Unfortunately, things just didn't work out. That's okay, because her girls love dance and she is a delight as she talks about how cute they are dancing.
Cari is an absolutely wonderful mother. She has sacrificed a career to devote herself fully to her family. Without her we wouldn't be even remotely happy as we are each day. She has been ready to be a mom her whole life, something her oldest daughter inherited quite nicely.
Cari has always been a free spirited individual. You don't tell Cari what to do. :-) She'll do things her way. One time when she was in Kindergarten she couldn't find her shoes for school. Her mom worked graveyards and asked Cari to wait a moment so she could sleep a bit and then she would find them and take Cari to school later. Cari's mom awoke to find an empty house. She had to call the school to ask if her daughter was there. Sure enough Cari had gone to school anyway. She found her snow boots (it definitely wasn't winter) and walked to school by herself! She even crossed a very, very busy road. Any wonder our girls are as independent as they are. :-)


Our kids just love and adore their mother. The especially love when she takes them out places, plays with them, or just takes time to "snuggle" with them.


Anyone who knows Cari knows she loves to camp. Cari has been the Young Women Camp Director in our ward for the last 2 years. I think they may have to wrestle the calling away from her. There is a different kind of Cari that goes camping. We call her "Camp Cari." I love Cari, but I am afraid of "Camp Cari." When "Camp Cari" comes out even the Young Women are shocked. Here are some pictures of a talent show that "Camp Cari" (although a reserved version) participated in.


Cari is the most kind, loving, sweet person I know. For a time Cari and I were just friends in high school. Unconsciously, Cari became the standard that all other girls I met were judged by. Needless to say, none of the other girls could compete with Cari. Somehow Cari saw past the mean line cook with a chip on his shoulder, past the heathen of a teenager I was and gave me a chance. I don't know why, but I can't thank her enough. Without her I would be nothing. Our family would be nothing.

We love you sweet heart! Have a happy birthday!

13 comments:

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Cari! I will always remember your birthday because it's exactly one month after mine. I hope you have a great day and you get to get out and do something fun. And by the way, I LOVE this birthday tribute to you! Way to go Lance!

Shannon said...

Now that is really sweet! I have been thinking all week that I can't miss calling Cari to wish her a happy birthday! (phone call will come later) It is great to know that most of my childhood memories have Cari in them! I have to add how awesome of a friend she is! She is the most NONjudgemental person I know! She loved people for who they are and all of their goodness. I too am greatful for her example in my life!

Oh yea, and I have so GREAT pictures of her from girl's camp when we were in young women's~ I am going to have to share some day!

R Clan said...

Happy Birthday! I really do think that one picture of Cari looks like Lilly! WOW! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Alisha said...

Happy Birthday Cari! (You have a really sweet husband...give him MAJOR brownie points!) I hope you have a fantastic day.

Caroline Kingsley said...

Now why didn't Mike write something like this for my birthday??

But seriously, this is about the sweetest thing I've ever read. Good job, Lance.

Cari, I hope you're having a fabulous birthday. We should all go out in the next few days to celebrate - uhmmm, you guys pick the restaurant ;)

Mike Kingsley said...

She does look like a Lilly!

Jane said...

Thanks for this post Lance, that is such a great tribute. My mom and I were thinking about you today, I hope you had a wonderful day! Those were fun stories and pictures, you really are all Lance says.

Jane said...

(Also, Lance, can you please give Aaron a lesson on giving nice birthday tributes to your wife, Cari must love this!)

Cindi said...

Happy Birthday Cari! That was such a nice tribute! Lance is so thoughtful to do this for you! Ryan could use a lesson from Lance on this! Just don't tell him I said so! :)

Dan and Melissa said...

Caroline...I'm with you! Why didn't Dan write something like this???
Good job Lance! Carrie you are wonderful and I feel so lucky to be friends with you. I really hope our friendship stays strong and that you know how much I respect and admire you!
Let's go out to dinner for your belated BDay
Love you!
Melissa

Kristi said...

Those are some really fun pictures of you Cari! What a nice hubby you have to do that for your birthday...can't get Tyler to even touch the blog :) Happy Birthday, I hope you had a great day!

Caroline Kingsley said...

Lance, looks like you've raised the bar for all of our husbands. Be careful. They just may come after you - the husbands that is, not the wives ;)

Hello! said...

Happy belated Birthday Cari! I LOVE the old pics of you. And those camp pics are priceless. ha ha ha