Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One of those Moments


The more we shelter children from every disappointment, the more devastating future disappointments will be.

FRED G. GOSMAN, How to Be a Happy Parent ... In Spite of Your Children


I had a moment as a parent today, that not only broke my heart but made me glad also. My dear sweet Lainey loves to sing! She has been involved with her school's melody choir all year. It is a free after school program. To say she loves it is an understatement. She practices all the time singing her songs and working on the actions. We have been excitedly looking forward to her end of year performance. Lainey also loves to Dance! She has been taking classes since she was 3 and looks forward every week to dance day.

As we are ending the year with her dance concert coming we realized that her mandidtory dress rehearsal for dance was on the same night as her choir concert. I noticed this problem about 2 weeks ago, but hoped we could work something out. I didn't mention it to her because I was hoping we could make it to both on the same night. When I realized it just wasn't possible. I laid it out to her plainly. If she missed dress rehearsal she couldn't perform in her dance concert (which we do pay for), or she would have to miss her choir concert. I gave the decision to her. I expected tears, but was utterly amazed at her response. After thinking about it for a few minutes she made her decision. She has decided to do her dance performance. While she didn't cry I could hear the emotion in her voice about not singing. It broke my heart to make her have to choose, but she was brave and made the decision. She knows that she can still be in the choir next year and will hopefully get to perform there too. I

Sometimes life is hard, we are faced with decisions everyday, some are easy some are hard, but the hardest ones are the ones when we have to choose between to really good things. She has made her choice and I am so proud of her for her courage. WE LOVE YOU LAINEY! I am so pleased to be your mom.

6 comments:

Jane said...

That is so cute, I can tell how much she loves choir. I love the quote at the beginning of the post!!! I am sure she will have a wonderful time at her dance concert.

Dan and Melissa said...

Thanks for the post! Thanks for also being such a great example of great motherhood!
Please let us know when her dance concert is we would love to go and cheer her on;)

Cindi said...

Wow- that is heart breaking! I am sorry to hear she had to choose.

Krista Johnson said...

That is too bad. Does Diane really not let them dance if they don't come to the dress rehearsal? That is a little crazy if you ask me, they are still so little and should not have to make such tough decisions. I wish we could be here for the performance:)

Unknown said...

That is really cute. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Joni said...

How sad is that! Why is it that some nights we have nothing to do and other nights we have five things? Good luck at your dance performance!